The surgeons at Melbourne Urology Centre are experts in treating patients who require reversal of vasectomy (vaso-vasotomy). The surgical team comprises an expert Urologist and a specialist reconstructive Micro-surgeon with the use of a high powered surgical microscope. This enables the synergy of each surgeon’s unique skill set to maximise success. Dr Shekib Shahbaz and Dr Tony de Sousa offer this service in Melbourne for patients from all over Australia
- Vasectomy reversal involves the reconnection of each vas deferens in patients who wish to undo a vasectomy
- After a successful vasectomy reversal sperm will again be present in the semen allowing for possible subsequent pregnancy
- Successful pregnancy rates after vasectomy reversal vary from 30 percent to over 70 percent depending on a number of factors including: time since vasectomy, female partner’s age, surgeon experience/technique as well as any other pre-existing fertility issues
- Men seek vasectomy reversal for various reasons after an initial decision to have a permanent form of contraception. In some patients it may be an option to treat chronic testicular pain following vasectomy
- Vasectomy reversal is generally more successful if performed by experienced surgeons who use a high powered surgical microscope. These surgeons should be prepared and able to perform more complex procedures such as vaso-epididymostomy if necessary
Comparing vasectomy reversal to Assisted Reproductive Techniques ART/IVF?