The Rezum procedure, otherwise known as Rezum treatment or Rezum therapy, is a minimally-invasive procedure that uses water vapour to treat benign prostate hyperplasia also known as BPH or prostate enlargement.
The Rezum procedure, otherwise known as Rezum treatment or Rezum therapy, is a minimally-invasive procedure that uses water vapour to treat benign prostate hyperplasia- also known as BPH or prostate enlargement.
Who is the Rezum procedure suitable for?
The Rezum procedure for prostate enlargement is suitable for men who are experiencing urinary symptoms as a result of their BPH. These symptoms can include:
- Straining to begin urination
- A weak urine stream
- Stop/start urine flow
- Difficulty with emptying the bladder completely
- An increased need to urinate (frequency)
- Interruptions to sleep due to the need to urinate frequently during the night (nocturia).
The Rezum procedure for prostate enlargement may be an appropriate solution for men who:
- Have urinary symptoms associated with BPH and want a minimally-invasive solution
- Do not want to use daily medications for their BPH (due to cost, side-effects or inconvenience)
- Want to improve their quality of life to that of what it was prior to the onset of their BPH symptoms.
What are the benefits associated with the Rezum procedure for prostate enlargement?
For men who suffer with the troublesome urinary symptoms associated with an enlarged prostate Rezum procedure can be a simple, safe and minimally-invasive solution, that delivers long-term relief with minimal downtime. It provides relief from the symptoms of BPH within as soon as a few weeks following the treatment.
The Rezum procedure eliminates the need for lifelong use of costly medications.
When compared to traditional surgery for an enlarged prostate Rezum procedure has minimal risk of retrograde ejaculation or sexual dysfunction.
The American Urological Association endorses the Rezum procedure for prostate enlargement, describing it as proven to work safely and effectively in treating BPH. There are more than four years’ worth of scientific data from US studies, that attest to the efficacy, durability and reproducibility of the Rezum procedure.
How is the Rezum procedure for prostate enlargement performed?
The Rezum procedure is usually performed as a day surgery, but some patients may stay in hospital overnight.
- Most patients will require a urinary catheter to be placed for 3-5 days, due to the swelling of the prostate following the procedure
- For most patients, normal activities can be resumed within 24-28 hours
- In the initial 4-6 weeks following the Rezum procedure, patients may experience symptoms of mild discomfort when urinating, an increased need to urinate, and in some cases small amounts of blood in the urine or the ejaculate.
Maximal improvement usually occurs at around 3 months following the Rezum procedure.
What are the expected patient outcomes of the Rezum procedure for prostate enlargement?
Most patients will notice an improvement in their urinary flow, pressure and bladder emptying as soon as two weeks following their Rezum procedure. Bladder symptoms such as urinary frequency, urgency, and nocturia usually take longer (up to around 3 months) to improve following the treatment.
Normal sexual function is generally preserved in the vast majority of patients who have the Rezum procedure for prostate enlargement.
Where can I have the Rezum procedure near me?
Dr Tony de Sousa and Dr Shekib Shahbaz of Melbourne Urology Centre were pioneers of the Rezum technology in Victoria. They are pleased to discuss and offer Rezum procedure for prostate in Melbourne.
The team at Melbourne Urology Centre consults and operates at a number of private hospitals throughout Melbourne and regional Victoria, understanding the benefits of treating patients as close to home as possible. Locations include:
- St John of God Berwick Hospital
- Beleura Private Hospital
- Malvern Osler House
- Frankston Private Hospital
- Mulgrave Private Hospital
- Epworth Freemasons
- Maryvale Private Hospital
- Kilmore & District Hospital.
Melbourne Urology Centre – Rezum procedure for prostate Melbourne
For Rezum procedure for prostate Melbourne locations, contact our rooms at Melbourne Urology Centre on 1300 702 811. Alternatively, you may complete our online contact form and a member of our administrative team will be in contact to assist you in scheduling a consultation.